Google

Thursday, January 3, 2008

European Ice

Why in the world would I want to talk about ice? Well, to answer your question I will tell you I am from the South and in the South, ice is a condiment. We expect to have ice with most of our meals. What is sweet tea or Diet Coke without loads of ice? In fact most Southerners say “would you like some ice tea.” In the South, we simply expect ice. I am telling you this so that when you travel in Europe no matter how hot it is, don’t expect much ice.

When I first went to London, my friend and I ate in a medium priced restaurant. Actually, it was pretty high priced to me, but that’s another story. Anyway, I ordered a Diet Coke and received warm Diet Coke with one ice cube. It was melting as I looked at it. I was a very crass American and asked for more ice. You would have thought I had asked the waiter for his first born child. Although his attitude was rather chilly, I did get two more cubes and the drink was ok but not cold enough for me.

I learned to always ask for ice, but sometimes it wasn’t available. At little bakeries or cafés, they would have a canned Diet Coke on a tray surrounded by enough ice to reach the very bottom of the can. Needless to say; it was warm. I was dying of thirst with no ice so I drank warm Diet Coke. It was nasty, but I was thirsty and desperate.

A few days later I went wandering around the hotel to see what was close by and low and behold, there was a good old American 7 Eleven. I went in and yes, I had struck gold. There was a serve yourself Coke machine. I could fill my cup to the top with ice and add the Diet Coke. I could drink to my fill. It was Heaven. I visited there many times while I was in England and never tired of the thrill. I know we are supposed to expose ourselves to other customs, but I had to draw the line at ice. It is too precious.

No comments: